View Single Post
Old 02-14-2016, 02:52 PM   #214
peter5992
Human being with feelings

Poking around just a little bit more, more questions:

1. Apparently dynamics are not imported (exported a Sibelius to general midi and then imported it into Reaper) - is that intentional? I can see the different velocities but not p, f, and all the hairpins I inserted in the Sibelius score.

2. Same question for technique text (con sordino, pizzicato, arco, etc.)?

3. How does it handle transposing instruments (e.g., horn, or Bb clarinet or trumpet)? Is there a way to switch between transposing score and concert pitch?

4. Is it possible to have two treble clefs (e.g. for Horn)?

Attached are a few screen pics, one of the original in Sibelius, and the other of the same in Reaper - easy to see that a lot of info is lost in translation (the violas are whacky lol - probably because in Sibelius the two staffs are treated as one midi channel, so midi can't make the distinction between the two viola section which play the contrarian motiff). It might be that that is inherent to the general midi protocol, I'm not an expert to say the least.

I also attach the Reaper project so you can see for yourself (it's the famous Basic Instinct theme from Jerry Goldsmith).

All that said, still very cool ... kudos to Justin, John, and everyone for taking on such a huge endeavor ... notation is no chicken shit ... took Sibelius decades to get to where they are today.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.jpg (37.7 KB, 219 views)
File Type: png Capture2.PNG (25.6 KB, 220 views)
Attached Files
File Type: rpp Reaper Notation Editor test II.RPP (121.1 KB, 177 views)
peter5992 is offline   Reply With Quote