View Single Post
Old 07-03-2010, 10:06 AM   #162
bruce
Human being with feelings

Yes, other hosts.

I would like to write VST plug-ins that will work with any VST host. I would then like to add your enhancements so that they will work better in Reaper.

You could have easily added the "discrete steps" API in a way that would have made this trivial. Instead, as you admit, you did it in a way that makes this impossible (or at best difficult/risky).

Your implementation may, in fact, be superior to the approach everyone else took. Personally, I would have thought twice, then three times, then four about going down this road, which as a mentioned is different from what every standard plug-in API does.

Anyway, I will not be using this API. It attempts to solve a very real problem, and add value, but for me it's not worth it if it means my plug-ins will not run in Sonar or Cubase.

I would be a little surprised of there are plug-in authors who don't work for Cockos who feel otherwise.

Obviously one can work around this - declare a range of 0..1 if the host is not reaper, and 0-..n-1 if it is. But that is clearly less elegant than doing it the way everyone else does, and involves an extra testing step that is burdensome.
bruce is offline   Reply With Quote