View Single Post
Old 04-18-2018, 08:24 PM   #199
insub
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubbaseDnB View Post
Wondering how the mastering suite thing is in comparrison to say Studio ones project page.and also does the mastering suite in Sonar have any advantages over say mastering in Studio one or even Reaper?
My guess is that the Mastering Suite is not included in this free version. BandLab stated that much of the bundled software that came with Sonar will not be included due to lack of ownership/licensing. Features removed may not have transferred ownership to BandLab or was bundled 3rd party plugins & such that were deals made by the previous owners of Cakewalk. Or, could be withheld for future paid upgrades.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetidus View Post
I'm curious how they'll monetize this in the future. For now, it's "free" and I'm sure there will be a goodwill period, but eventually they'll need to generate some revenue from it... and I wonder if they'll try to implement an "in-app purchase" kind of model for plugins, features, and/or content? Or maybe a subscription model again for something like a "pro" bundle... or who knows what?
I think it will remain free, but certainly "in-app purchases" or other paid upgrades appear to be the working business model these days. So, they draw you in with the free DAW then try to sell you everything else they have to offer. It's also another way to direct you to the rest of what BandLab does with their mobile apps. I think they're being very smart and have a long-term plan in motion already.

While I don't personally care for that business model, I don't really see anything wrong with it either. This release of CbB for free is a great boon for music makers all over the world. Overall, I think it's great (the availability, not necessarily the DAW as I haven't tried it yet)!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladerunner View Post
All I have in the way of plugins is the old sonitus suite and the pro channel stuff. There's no Classic Creative Suite/Studio Mixing Suite/Engineering Suite/Boutique Suite. Is it the same for everyone else here?
As stated above, the email I received 4/12/18 says, "Cakewalk by BandLab is a free, streamlined version of SONAR Platinum.

No matter what plug-ins or bundles you’ve bought in the past – anything that worked with SONAR before will work with Cakewalk by BandLab and will integrate seamlessly."

So, previous owners of Sonar will have their full bundles available, but this re-release, Cakewalk by BandLab, has been stripped-down.
Their official release statement:
https://blog.bandlab.com/cakewalk-by...press-release/
"Cakewalk by BandLab is a streamlined version of SONAR Platinum – and certain third party products and content bundles will no longer be included."
Here is their Announcement FAQ:
https://blog.bandlab.com/cakewalk-announcement-faq/
insub is offline   Reply With Quote