View Single Post
Old 08-13-2019, 01:23 PM   #2502
CraigG58
Human being with feelings

I'm not sure I totally agree with the philosophy of requiring high-end gear to create a great production.

Check the track below, all of which was done in my home studio using a Tascam-32SD recorder and Hosa cabling (save the lead guitar solo at around 03:30, which was recorded via a Fractal Audio Systems Axe-FX II amp modeling unit into a studio recorder).

Besides that lead guitar, I played and recorded all other tracks. Here's the instruments that I used:

Guitars line-in to a Carvin DX1642 mixer, feeding the Tascam via a single XLR input:
– Godin Seagull Entourage acoustic
– Fender Jazz bass

Line 6 Spider III modeling amp, line-out to same mixer:
– Fender Stratocaster
– Gibson Les Paul Studio

Keyboards, line-in to same mixer:
– Korg MS-20 analog synthesizer
– Yamaha MX49 digital synthesizer

Drums, the only thing that were mic'd, with 7 direct XLR inputs into the Tascam using CAD microphones. Yep, cheap mics, but proper placement is everything.
– DW Drums with Zildjian, Paiste and Wuhan cymbals
– Additional percussion by Treeworks and Rhythm Tech

Granted, it was mixed and mastered in a Pro recording studio, but no amount of mixing/mastering is going to make a recording sound great unless the sources are good in the first place. It's the old, garbage in, garbage out routine.

Experiment to maximize your existing gear set-up, and you'll produce the great sounding source tracks required for an awesome overall production.

https://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=13734072

Last edited by CraigG58; 08-13-2019 at 02:49 PM.
CraigG58 is offline   Reply With Quote