View Single Post
Old 10-08-2019, 09:11 PM   #7
Fergler
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringing phone View Post
The Audio Technica ath m50's are so bass heavy I'm surprised they get so much press.
I've owned these for years. I wouldn't describe them as bass heavy, more like bass articulate. I can actually hear down into the range like on a full monitor system. There is a headroom issue if you drive them too hard around 80hz where they'll resonate so they don't make for great tracking headphones for raw bass guitar in my experience. But a sweet response for everything else.

Flat curve headphones aren't actually the best choice for tracking imo because you want to hear something closer to the end result that sounds 'real'. Having a tilt towards the low mids like the M50s (not m50x) is great for raw audio so you can clearly hear the 1st and 2nd harmonic balance in a sound that is so crucial to mic placement. If you have perfectly flat headphones, while great for listening to master mixes, raw audio doesn't fit that curve well.

100% agree on the HD280 boxiness. I thought the pair I tried in the store were broken.

By the way you can buy straight cables for most of these headphones directly from China.
Fergler is offline   Reply With Quote