Thread: 1 bit recording
View Single Post
Old 12-16-2007, 05:35 PM   #16
Boot_me
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanskrit View Post
I know my response is entirely informed by my emotions, and a teenie bit of experience, but here goes: I don't like SACD, I want it to go away. I have spent years putting together a PCM based studio. The thought of purchasing expensive gear (or waiting for it to get cost effective to do so) is a lifetime I don't have. I continue to watch folks go on about the need for higher and higher sample rates and what's the format of choice: freakin' mp3. I don't forsee, or see, folks clammering for 24 bit PCM discs, or CD's for that matter. SACD feels like (largely) a marketing tool designed to further the bottom line of its developers and an effort to protect the copyrighted fortunes of said developers/companies. I've got no problem protecting intellectual property, but there's got to be another way to do it without requiring or encouraging a total makeover of "the project studio." This comment is NOT meant to slag anyone's purchase decisions. Whatever works for 'ya: get your gear on! I suppose its what I said: an emotional response to the inevitable march of tech, and the loss of my Atari, eight track and beta max tapes. Damn.
Snskrt
Hi Sanskrit,
My only interest is in being able to edit the base files, that they created SACD with. I've heard SACD has been dead for a while now, meanwhile they are rolling out blue ray, hd dvd, hd radio, etc, and SACD disk count is reaching 4000 (I read somewhere). Its inevitable that higher quality comes in.
I mainly wanted to try to make a place where people could leave links about the file formats so that if Cockos wants to add import or even import/export it would be an easy source of info, and to help those of us considering portable recorders such as the KORG MR1 or MR1000 with info on what we've bought and how we can use it.
As to PCM, I don't like the idea of dithering noise, and if it were possible to record digitally perfect and then convert that into say, a Monkey Audio file (I guess Lossless?) then you would have a way of editing your highly high def recordings.
Its clear to me that no $699 or $1000 recorder is going to take the place of the really good gear.... just like calling a pc box a mastering converter doesn't really make it a mastering converter. The converter may be master grade, but the circuitry that hooks to it has to be that good also. 120 db has to be fed by that quality of electronics and the right room and the right recording techniques.
As a friend of mine said... he's not recording Classical, he's recording Rock. That dictates the quality to some extent I suppose... but if you are using different mediums to get sound into your productions, you might just want lossless audio at some point. I don't know how reaper represents audio once its inside the DAW... true waveforms, pcm code? My friend says it sounds good.
I do think that the portable converters that people listen to files on will get better and cheaper, as well as the algorithms that they save the music in. (My little RCA Pearl is 1 gig and takes micro SD cards, and is max 128 bit mp3. But it also plays and records wave files and audio book files...and cost $43.00)
And I have read a little on the 1 bit technique and see that its based on filtering the signal after its recorded true. I'm thinking maybe a .dsd to monkey audio converter may be the ticket...although I don't know much about Monkey Audio, I read that it is supposed to be lossless... don't know how good or what data form it uses. But some editable true representation of the waveforms.

reguards
boot_me
btw trying to find a dsdiff to ape converter found me another reference to how dsd works.
http://www.digsrex.com/DSD_archival_solution.htm
and this:
http://www.sa-cd.net/faq
And this one has a bunch of good links. Their page is a goldmine of 1 bit documentation:

http://sonicstudio.net/support/knowl....html#nexStage

Last edited by Boot_me; 12-16-2007 at 06:11 PM.
Boot_me is offline   Reply With Quote