Old 11-27-2007, 05:02 AM   #11
Boot_me
Human being with feelings

Default square waving

Quote:
Originally Posted by daverich View Post
not really.

the 1 bit system basically is +1 or -1.

What you need is a system where the converter can be told that within the next two samples the power of the signal is going from nothing right the way up to full power and stay there.

Kind regards

Dave Rich.
HI Dave
After reading that article on how SACD works, I wonder if that is true. I don't know how these things are sampled from the ground up, but if you are sampling 1 bit at 5 + megaherz, As in the Korg M1000 and the standard for the format are set at half that, isn't that effectively what you are talking about? (minus a bunch of math

I don't know how Nyquist rates relate to blah blah. But its interesting that they put double sample rate on the box with xlr inputs, and only straight rate on the hand-held. Could this be your square wave? 2 bits times the base rated freq of the format?

but I could be talking out my arse...

My belief albeit a non professional one, is that a digital image of a sound wave is only as good as the circuit that feeds it into the recorder. They make these nice pres that have all this special stuff done to keep the image clean... then it goes into an input to a sampler. If the guy who designed the sampler doesn't know how to make the super clean audio wave hit the sampler correctly, it won't be accurate... impedance matching right?
So the faster you can sample a smaller amount of that wave, the more accurate it would be right? So maximum sound instantly would look like a ramp of 1's right up to the point of that samples peak. In pcm, if I remember right, they sample a whole wave... probably depends on the hardware. Then they sample another. Maybe they do half at time, but I would think that it depends on the chip. But because of that Nyquist rule...I think it would make only the first half of the sample accurate even if it was maxed out with PCM.

So its the old parallel vs. Serial argument.

A parallel to this is that Sata hard drives are faster now than Parallel ATA's. But Sata's are Serial...
time for bed.

I don't think its all hype and drm paranoia. Heck, 24/192 samplers are all over the place. It doesn't get much better than that anyways, sound wise (from what I've read)... as long as its all set up and done right.
Quality is inversely proportional to Money.

best regards
boot_me
Boot_me is offline   Reply With Quote