View Single Post
Old 05-24-2018, 08:50 PM   #3
ptourin
Human being with feelings

The concerts will have quite a bit of variation sonically - they were recorded in different venues over about 6 years. There was no sound man - I simply set up coincident mics high and wherever the hall allowed me to place them - we did a pre-concert sound check and then I just hit the record button. In addition, the personnel for the concerts varied a lot depending on the concert theme - it could have been 1 violin, 1 viola da gamba and a harpsichord, or it could have been 7-8 players. The earliest music is from the time of Columbus; the latest is early classical era.

It looks like I've been saving as 24-bit WAV's - no reason on my part, that's simply what Reaper defaulted to. I've transferred about 1/4 of the tapes - most recorded at 48, some at 44.1 - once I have them off tape and onto the HD, I'll start figuring out how to do your sections/regions. There's going to be a lot of editing to fade the applause and put silences between tracks, eliminating the tuning (instruments are strung in gut so there's LOTS of tuning, especially when there's a lute playing with us).

It's a fun project so far - there's a surprising amount of pieces that are musically very nice and aren't riddled with mistakes, tuning issues, dropouts, fire engines going by, etc. And some are sonically very pleasant considering how crude the recording technique was.
ptourin is offline   Reply With Quote