Old 07-05-2010, 05:18 PM   #39
gofer
-blänk-

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthFader View Post
It's magic and now it's dependent on:

A) The ordering of the plugins
B) That you have a rechannelize plugin at the end

If it wasn't dependent on those two things, it may not be necessary to "rechannelize" it at all.

I really think as I said this will be "more fiddliness" and not very user friendly. It's just a better hack, not an integrated midi solution.

Additionally when it comes to filtering it gets more complex. If a track has PC and you want to filter PC, but you DO want to set the PC initially, then it gets clunky. Does the filter eat up the initial PC you wanted to set?

I think a collection of hacks does not an integrated solution make. I'm all for a decent hack now and again but I'm all for an engineered solution geared to the task at hand too, not just more spaghetti.

I think this is all about saving the universal track which has a lot of problems in my book. When would you want to put a VSTi AND a waveform on the same track, compared to one or the other? It's a niche need but it's the defacto standard.

And what volume affects both the waveform and the vsti? I fail to see the use case for this scenario versus midi and audio tracks being essentially different except they both have an audio path; one generates audio and the other plays it back, both with or without fx.

Additionally as I pointed out on the top post, it's an OPTIONAL track type. Noone has to give up their "beloved" universal track to have this option. I think this is completely lost in the discussion as people think it's either/or.

As I've said before, not every game is zero-sum and this isn't either.

DF
Well, depends on the plugin . It could be easily all coded into one single plug in the order you need, maybe even freely reorder-able.
An inbuilt solution would do (hopefully) exactly the same.

I happen to like the modular approach. I don't agree on calling it hacks. It is using the system at hand like it is supposed to be used.

As of filter events, that as well is just a question of order. Filter before the set control - done.

I constantly have MIDI and audio on one track. For example I tend to render my VSTi as take and love how I can edit audio and still have the MIDI in the back hand and be able to add more MIDI anytime and both just work together, using the same audio FX without any ado. Niche or not, it's frigging cool. My volume fader will drag down the audio output of the VSTi and the audiofile just fine.

Also the routing strinxx mentioned is absolutely awesome. Your multitimbral synth can be driven from MIDI on a track and the corresponding audio output is delivered on the same track. I love it, although one has to take care not to use plugs that introduce latency on those tracks, there is a problem.

I understand that your request wouldn't take anything away. Thing is, I still can't see any problem that would dictate spending precious time on track types, while all improvements that would be (necessarily) made to make the current method better will benefit the whole picture.

Last edited by gofer; 07-05-2010 at 05:28 PM.
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote