View Single Post
Old 10-20-2017, 02:04 AM   #10
ry_cooder
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by tombuur View Post
I bought the Scheps video and template. He is a very interesting and likeable person to watch.

When it comes to his templates, I have both Cubase and Studio One, both of which I occasionally use only to quickly return to Reaper. The implementations of his templates in these two DAWs differ somewhat. Particularly because they use stock plugins that don't completely corresponds to his plugins. Hence when Scheps use Waves Aphex, they try to do something similar with stock plugins that doesn't really sound like the original in Scheps templates.

I tried at best to translate this to Reaper, but more like an addition to my own template. Anyway he mainly uses parallel effects, so I ended up with a selection of parallel tracks added to my own template. Some of these I use now, others I don't. A lot of plugins come with a mix knob (and Reaper has a mix knob), so here and there I chose to just use Scheps principles as and insert partially mixed in.

In the end I only use a fraction of his mixing tricks, but the video was worth the money for learning and inspiration.
Hello, I watched the Andrew Scheps template tutorial, which I found really instructive! I'm trying to rebuild his template in Reaper but I have a very basic question about gain staging:

I'm trying to use the same Scheps settings on compressors. In order to have 3-4 db of gr on parallel drum crash, e.g., I need to feed the compressor with a lot of volume, but in this way all my levels are hitting really hard and master fader is clipping! What am I doing wrong?
ry_cooder is offline   Reply With Quote