View Single Post
Old 09-17-2019, 02:10 PM   #35
Xenakios
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
Seems weird to me, as the window is supposed to be "hosted" by Reaper (living in Reaper's GUI thread), in fact created as a result of an Reaper action.

Is WDL intended to be usable "stand alone" without Reaper in the back ?
Reaper's GUI is itself coded with the win32 API, so it's the "native" way to do things with it. Reaper itself does not have API functions to create windows and GUI controls, it's up to you to implement those in whatever way you think is the best. (The "gfx" things that are available for ReaScript code, are not available for C or C++ extension plugin's code.)

WDL generally speaking works with whatever kind of code, I've used it with my Qt and JUCE based applications and plugins. Maybe you are confusing WDL as a whole and the Swell sublibrary in it? Swell is the sublibrary in WDL that allows using a limited subset of win32 API code on macOs and Linux. WDL as a whole is a collection of utility functions and classes, some of which have to do with GUI and Reaper, but many don't.