View Single Post
Old 09-11-2012, 08:49 AM   #83
dea-man
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by benebomber View Post
I didn’t try to compensate my shortcomings with playing instruments, but rather looked for a working approach which fitted my skillset and expectations.
There is the intelligent approach right there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benebomber View Post
If it’s a good tune, I do not care how it was achieved. I just enjoy it.
Right! Give me a good tune,on an old guitar, or piano, badly recorded, and I will still play it over and over,

There was a musician named Ted Hawkins, who used to hang out on Venice Beach and busk, playing his old acoustic guitar, which was tuned to an open E Major chord. He only played major chords in all his songs, which were mostly covers, and he always wore a leather glove on his fret hand, so he could bar the neck, comfortably.

He had a terrific gravel voice. I mean, "the voice of the ages".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6s2_4...eature=related

Apparently, he was very well received in Europe, but only minimally in the States. He had done TV, and had some success, but now he just dubbed his old albums from vinyl to cassette tape,on a home stereo. He was selling them for $10, and they were selling like hotcakes, because of that voice. I, like everyone around who heard him, was completely enamored by that voice.

I bought one.

It was a piece of shit recording, at best. But, I love that tape. Still have it. I even have his picture hanging on my studio wall. The performances are just phenomenal, to me. They speak to my heart and everything else.

All I am saying is: The magic in music is contained within us, it's not in the equipment we use.

Last edited by dea-man; 09-11-2012 at 12:19 PM.
dea-man is offline   Reply With Quote