View Single Post
Old 11-16-2011, 08:59 PM   #2102
Jim Nasium
Human being with feelings

Default Thank You, Yep!

I am new to this forum. In fact I registered just to say thank you to Yep for starting this thread and for taking the time to give your valuable advice and for answering other members questions. I started out as a drummer twenty years ago, taught myself to play guitar and bass starting about ten years ago (one thing I realize is that no matter how much one knows about something one can always learn more) and about three months ago bought a Focusrite Scarlett with the intent of recording some songs I have written but never recorded. I am blessed in the sense that I have a basement full of musical equipment and I won't bore anyone with a detailed list, but I have limited recording skills. I have found the information in this thread posted by Yep as an invaluable road map to guide me on my way. I have read only about half of this whole thread thus far and from reading Yep's last comment somewhere along the way the info seems to become less about what he started this thread about. I intend to finish reading it regardless. Your advice that I have read so far has probably saved me invaluable time from making errors that people like me will make when trying to do this without any guidance. Before I started reading this thread I had recorded two songs and have since gone back and re recorded both using the advice given here where applicable to my situation and the difference in results is night and day! I don't profess to having anything sounding like a major label recording but what I have recorded sounds better than any other recording that I have participated in previously. I am glad that this post is where it is because immediately it caught my eye. At first glance one thinks "who is this guy to tell anyone that their recordings sound like ass?" but I began to read and I am glad I did because my first recordings really DID sound like ass! Now, at least I think I am a few tiers above sounding like ass! And as I forge further on I know they will get better. I view undertaking home recording as like a driver having a destination in mind but not having the slightest clue on how to get there. After reading this I can see that there is a way to reach my destination because I have a basic road map. For this I am ever grateful! Thank you, Yep!
Jim Nasium is offline   Reply With Quote