View Single Post
Old 08-18-2019, 01:38 PM   #271
Pashkuli
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by superblonde.org View Post
there is some history to the idea of a hexagonal keyboard layout for instruments. is that what you referred to when designing your layout? or did you start from a different place?
Oh, the idea is old, really. And to be precise - mine is derived from a hexagonal footprint of a key, but it has more modern (curved) and sloped shape of each key (some are hexagonal, some are irregular pentagons for obvious reason - closing the front and back ends.)

T. Dreschke managed to build a typical hexagonal (+ irr. pentagonal mixed with standard rectangonal) design. Please, see the attached image from some of my above posts.
He derived the idea from even older concepts. We're speaking of about 200+ years ago.

Mine is an improvement and I believe a quite important one (several actually). I also think, that because of the state of the art back then (no plastics, no CAD, no proper tools for manufacturing, etc.) those designers couldn't offer much. But the influence they had on me is obvious.

There are several attempts in modern days (late XXth century till a couple years ago) which tackle on this concept but they have many flaws, implemented by pure misunderstanding of basic principles of functional design.

Last edited by Pashkuli; 08-18-2019 at 03:51 PM.
Pashkuli is offline   Reply With Quote