View Single Post
Old 08-18-2019, 01:12 PM   #268
superblonde.org
Human being with feelings

umm i definitely would call hao staff, synthesia, and even MIDI graphic representation if it's used for sight-playing, a dumbing down. call it what it is. there's no expressive marks, they're purposely removed. don't argue just to argue, call it like it is. guitar-tab is great too, it both adds information yet removes information (pitch dots, phrases, etc) so is also a method of slightly dumbing-down music, _but_ it retains many expressive marks and even adds expressive marks which staff doesn't (can't) show (like individual pitch bends, slides, artificial harmonics, rakes, theres many others). similar arguments have been made for MIDI presentation so... just refer to all of that, for the pro's and con's. I will never buy "the idiot's guide to.." or a "complete dummy's book of.." which are reductions of information quality in every case.

my biggest beef with grand staff is the ledger line system. i'm playing a piano sheet which has up to five ledger-lines down from the treble clef (for the right hand..while left hand has its own notes to play in bass clef). ledger lines are awful. which is exactly the main reason guitarists don't like grand staff either and prefer tab- not only the neck-position indication- but the excessive ledger lines which make the staff hard to read.

the bottom line is that a new system should not eliminate information. it should retain existing information plus incorporate more meaning. That is what it means to be a "v2.0, revamped and upgraded". otherwise it moves backwards.

Last edited by superblonde.org; 08-18-2019 at 01:18 PM.
superblonde.org is offline   Reply With Quote