View Single Post
Old 08-05-2019, 08:05 PM   #13
pandabot
Human being with feelings

You're welcome to play with it and make improvements.

I used the default Apple MIDI soundbank and converted the drums to General MIDI so it would be as portable as possible. If you're on Mac it should play without requiring any third party vsts, otherwise just pick a vst.

Quote:
Originally Posted by superblonde.org View Post
Ok since I have both audio tracks (album track and live performance track) beat aligned in copy of this project, I was focusing on comparing the 2nd verse part of the bass where bass is particularly active and the transcription has tiny errors in the nuances of what's actually being played. it's probably 95% there but the remaining percent is what makes the track sound 'cool'. its what adds the syncopation-feel to the original track. so I would suggest improving that area a bit.
The point of this is to show how basic motifs can form a larger whole, it's a pretty good representation of the song arrangement so you can see how everything is put together. It's not meant to be an exact replica of the studio recording performance with all its timing nuances and groove relationships between the instrument voices.

Quote:
its important because it is what makes a musician sound pro vs. amateur. look for places where the transcription should be using dotted notes instead of straight 1/8ths. change the grid to 1/16ths.
Why not 1/256ths? You'll find that once you start fixating on the performance instead of the arrangement then these reaper projects cease to be a useful learning abstraction. In most song sections 1/8th notes was the appropriate resolution for capturing the motif, however I also used 1/16th notes when it was appropriate.

Quote:
i suppose the 'good songs' part of that sentence can be passed by... ahem
If you don't think the songs are good then it doesn't make much sense to spend your time analyzing them. Find songs you like

Last edited by pandabot; 08-05-2019 at 09:27 PM.
pandabot is offline   Reply With Quote