View Single Post
Old 02-13-2008, 09:54 AM   #1
mark604
Human being with feelings

Default .71 issues and observations

First off, thanks to the developers, .71 seems much better than .69. Version .69 was hogging so much CPU I could not play the demo track with my audio interface even without the VST's I added. Now I can not only play the demo track through my interface, but with the VST's I added as well. It's a major improvement.

While it is using less CPU than before, it is still using significantly more System CPU with my MH 2282+DSP compared to BIA. It doesn't seem to do that with other applications. My speculative theory is that Reaper is grabbing all 18 outputs even though it is only using two of them. If that is the case, or whatever the problem is, it should be fixed.

While I freed up a significant amount of CPU by setting UI update to lazy, and not showing meters in the track control panels, even with a severely reduced update rate, the mixer display uses way too much CPU to use it on my system.

The problem seems to be the meters. They have this fancy background gradient, all these little graphic things, and a preposterous number of bar segments -- more than I've ever seen on any piece of equipment. All of which serves no practical purpose. I don't need a light show Having an adjustable range and decay ballistics are nice features, but could we please have the option of simple meters that do not waste so much CPU?? Plain bars with 8-12 segments would be fine.

Speaking of graphics and CPU, do some themes/skins use less CPU than others?? Where can I download other themes/skins for OS X??

Also, "enable tooltips" seems to have no effect. The fields with the track names are blank, and there are some unsightly black boxes in the track control panel.

Thanks again to the developers for the latest update.

Last edited by mark604; 02-13-2008 at 09:57 AM.
mark604 is offline   Reply With Quote