View Single Post
Old 03-28-2007, 04:21 PM   #16
Alistair S
Human being with feelings

I have budget stuff, but it is fine for me and is letting me learn.

I have a Phonic FW mixer, a DMP3 and various mics (MXL603 pair, MSH Omni pair, MSH Cardioid pair, Rode NT1a and a dynamic). Absolutely nothing stellar there, though I have to say the NT1A is very quiet in terms of self-noise.

The biggest factor for me I think is my room and monitoring. I think room treatment would improve things no end. Better monitoring will help me too.

The biggest improvement in my signal chain has been a new guitar. I bought a cedar topped Taylor 514 and it sounds great. I am also very impressed by the ES system, which sounds very natural to me (and has the advantage of cutting out my room).

I don't plan on upgrading any of my kit until I can get the most out of what I have (though I have to admit that the Alesis IO14 looks interesting to me).

I have been mainly trying to get a better acoustic guitar sound so far. Then I will look more at my electric. Right now, I simply play that through my amp that connects directly to my mixer. I have occasionally tried micing the amp too.

A better space to record in may help me most. Could yours use some help too?

Last edited by Alistair S; 03-28-2007 at 04:24 PM.
Alistair S is offline   Reply With Quote