View Single Post
Old 11-10-2009, 08:23 PM   #97
nickm
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toft View Post
One of the roles I imagine a producer has to take on pretty regularly, is that of coach/encourager/inspirer. You know, the guy saying "that take was great, now take it up a notch, really let me have it, I want to feel the pain" etc
I'd say that this is one of the primary jobs of a producer. Getting the most out of the talent is an art, and the best producers are excellent at it. Every artist has a different set of "buttons" that will make them shine, and the producer needs to find them and push them.

yep had some great ideas on this regarding vocalists in WDYRSLA, lemme see if I can dig 'em up.

This is also one of the difficult hurdles to overcome when producing yourself -- it's hard to walk the fine line between not trying hard enough and obsessing about your sound. Taking a step back and assessing your personality and motivation is helpful but can only take you so far. I have a much easier time coaching my vocalist than judging my own parts and production. Similarly, it seems to really help to bounce ideas for arrangement and mixing off her just to see if I'm going in the right direction or if I'm totally in left field.
nickm is offline   Reply With Quote