View Single Post
Old 08-31-2019, 10:13 AM   #29
Glennbo
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klangfarben View Post
The problem is there isn't any kind of replacement for Kontakt. Libraries like Spitfire, Cinesamples, OrchestralTools, etc., etc. simply won't run in anything else and there is no way you could convert them to another format. Not with all the custom scripting, GUIs, legato switching etc. It would literally be impossible and I don't use that word lightly.

So, while you are absolutely right in terms of the performance hit, optimizing Windows Vsts/Wine as much as possible and allowing separate Kontakt/Vst instances to share memory is really critical. Just in terms of memory usage, I would need around 300GB to load my Windows template in Linux, vs 100GB in Windows.
Virtual instruments are the one thing I do still bridge in Linux, and don't expect any kind of native solution for any time soon.

For my own productions I only use Kontakt and other Windows based VSTi's as support behind real instruments, so I don't have the memory requirements or CPU performance needs like someone who is doing complex orchestration.

I've not hit the wall yet and have been able to use all my Windows VSTi's exactly the same way I used them in Windows. That said, I would love to see Windows VST/VSTi support improved in REAPER for Linux, either through direct support within REAPER, or through external support with things like a tweaked for VSTs WINE.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote