View Single Post
Old 08-25-2018, 07:17 AM   #2
Jack Winter
Human being with feelings

This should be doable, but I don't know the specifics of how to on Ubuntu. It might be that there is a script that does part of it. You'd have to provide me with some information so I know what's up with your system. Possibly googling recent distro documentation or asking on IRC in distro support channels might also help. A third alternative might be adding the kxstudio repos and updating the system, but I'm not sure if that works on recent Ubuntu versions.

Here is what you'd have to accomplish.
  1. Install a lowlatency kernel and possibly add the threadirqs boot flag to your boot manager.
  2. Acquire rtprio & memlock rights.
  3. Set a high priority for the interrupt of your soundcard, or the USB hub that the soundcard is connected to.

Using windows vsts wouldn't really add latency, it's more of a question of does the plugin work at all, and does it work reliably. But yes at this stage in time they are best used with high buffer settings, meaning for mixing. But you can certainly try to monitor through some of them at low latency, how well that would work would depend on your system, the plugin, and your project.
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040, etc. :)
Jack Winter is offline   Reply With Quote