View Single Post
Old 06-15-2012, 05:43 PM   #76
serr
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzCamel View Post
It is highly unlikely I would ever dream of using reaper live, unless it was a sample or loop DI to a real mixer. (meaning using it as an electronic instrument not a mixer, which I have done w my laptop)

The reason why is latency and summing. I have an Allen and Heath live board and it is worth running my Reaper mixes to it to sum and spread the mix into a 3rd dimention. In no way have I thought reaper could enhance the sound of a live performance without plugins. Some plugins could make it sound awesome no doubt. But you run the risk of latency which performers would HATE to hear.

So you guys that do this, more power to ya, and your backs thank you. Just not for me.
You will not hear 11ms.
Reaper sounds better than any small or medium format mixer I've used. That goes for A&H and even Midas. Reaper sounds vastly better. You'd need a real SSL or Neve to outdo it. Now obviously you need nice mic preamps and digital converters for your inputs.
This was actually the most striking feature of this rig and one that I hadn't anticipated. I would have been happy staying even with A&H quality for example but Reaper far exceeds that with the 64 bit mix engine. Just miles of headroom.
serr is online now   Reply With Quote