View Single Post
Old 07-19-2019, 11:08 AM   #8
DVDdoug
Human being with feelings

Quote:
I have a few annoying problems, which especially are cruicial in live usage of reaper.

I have been working for ages with DAWs on stage.
That always makes me paranoid! Computers are the least reliable things we own!* Sooner or later we all have "computer problems" and usually it takes more than a few minutes to fix. That's more than "annoying" if it shuts down the show.

If the computer is critical to the show I recommend having a back-up system that's configured and ready-to-go. And it's best if both computers are dedicated to that purpose so no "playing around" with the computers during the day.

Some people use a computer every night and they never have a problem and I've read about some performers having a show ruined by a computer glitch and they say, "I'll never use a computer live again".

...Guitar players usually bring an extra cable and extra strings. The "big acts" have spares of everything!

If the show can go on without the computer (if the computer is used for lighting or something like that) then maybe an occasional failure isn't the end of the world. Or, if you play the same venue every night, maybe one or two blown shows a year isn't too terrible.

And if you're recording something critical where there's chance for "take 2" I recommend two systems recording in parallel. A stand-by backup is not enough because you usually don't know there was a recording problem until it's too late.

* It's not always the "computer's fault"... I could be a user/configuration error, or a plug-in or driver incompatibility, or something like that.
DVDdoug is online now   Reply With Quote