View Single Post
Old 07-09-2014, 02:57 PM   #15
Tod
Human being with feelings

I wrote a lot of songs back in the 60s but when I opened my studio, that was the end of the song writing.

From that point on all my composing and writing was for commercial purposes and I can't tell you how many jingles and commercials I've made over the years along with many video projects. That was probably 75% of the studio income.

And the constant need to add more and better gear, and keep up with the latest standards.

Many airplane trips to LA AES conventions.

The biggest thing was keeping up with the latest in acoustical designs and ideas. Those were the pioneer days for audio acoustics. I was lucky to have grown up a carpenters son and I had all the tools to work with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jens View Post
- still would need the rooms including treatment

- still would need a proper monitoring system
You get these two things right, you should be in pretty good shape. Especially if your up to par with your ear training.

One thing I think I have to say, I was able to make my studio work and pay for itself even though it cost 10 maybe 20 times what it cost today. What I'm getting at is that even with the much more cost in those days, they were the fresh, experimental, and everything was new days. Very exciting days.

That's why I feel sorry for those of you trying to get started today, even though it cost far less to get started you don't have the market that we had to work with in those days.

Heh heh, what ever you do don't quite your day job.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote