View Single Post
Old 11-29-2009, 05:46 PM   #136
jbone1313
Human being with feelings

I have to wonder if all of these problems could be avoided if REAPER used the time stampes provided by the MIDI interface differently. (I think REAPER does use the time stamps, but I'm not sure that REAPER uses it to precisely set the location of the recorded/captured note.)

Note that Schwa talks about time stamps in this post: http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=34533

It seems like what should be happening (and is not happening), is that REAPER should take the provided time stamp, and use that to place the note on the time line.

I've noticed that MIDI timing is tighter in Ableton Live (notwithstanding the delays Ableton adds to the captured notes to record what is "heard" rather than what is "played").

From the Ableton Live Manual - Chapter 32 - MIDI Fact Sheet

Quote:
Live needs to know exactly when those events were received from the MIDI keyboard. But Live cannot receive them directly they must first be processed by the MIDI interface’s drivers and the operating system.

To solve this problem, the interface drivers give each MIDI event a timestamp as they receive it, and those are passed to Live along with the event so that Live knows exactly when the events should be added to the clip.
RE Recording what is heard vs what is played:
Quote:
When monitoring is enabled during recording, Live adds an additional delay to the timestamp of the event based on the buffer size of your audio hardware. This added latency makes it possible to record events to the clip at the time you hear them  not the time you play them.
I'll bet a lot more folks are using Live for loop recording, and if Live didn't MIDI things in this manner, people would notice very quickly. They probably had to address that problem early-on, since they are very "loop oriented."
jbone1313 is offline   Reply With Quote