View Single Post
Old 12-04-2010, 07:12 AM   #46
arkima
Human being with feelings

Hey everyone,

Thought I'd share what I think about the MCP Folder indent buttons/indicators for the new Default 4 Theme....

I think it's important that they do look similar as they belong as a group though have different tasks under the same functionality management.

A folder Track (the parent) should be easily recognizable upon viewing the tracks in the mixer. I tend to associate that if a track is a folder track (parent) it is it's or a very important part of it's identity. So, having said that I believe it would give more meaning if the "I'm a Folder" indicator, lived next to the tracks Number (the other very important unique id for the given track/folder). Top left just say "the start" to me.

It may also be more logical to have the actioning button for the track folder status changes located to the right (top right..) where I think the "last track in the (folders) nest" indicator lives currently seems in a good location, as it (to me anyway) is to the last edge of the last track in the given nest.

I agree that it has been difficult to see at a glance the overall structure of the projects Track/folder/nests levels. But purely discussing on the folder buttons/indicator for the Mixer area - It would probably be an FR for something small to assist the icons design and placement. I guess things like that can always be enhanced by the way other elements of the panel ie background could react upon the Folder/track state change.

The only other thought atm is that I think the indicators positioning should be consistent, tidy and never move for any reason not related to their function or layout change. ie- if tracks 1 and 109 (not that I usually reach that count) are folder tracks - visually their folder indicator should look the same or match.

Whats there now (the folder icon on the indicator inside a arrowish rectangular background) seems good/fine to me although something more simplistic would be nice to read and use if placed/incorporated well.

Hope that doesn't come across as a bit wanky and makes some sense - but that's what I think anyway

Last edited by arkima; 12-04-2010 at 07:58 AM. Reason: clarified parts