View Single Post
Old 11-18-2019, 11:20 AM   #6
DrTT
Human being with feelings

Hello Eliseat,

thanks for your comments and also for looking deeper into the effects!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliseat View Post
I tested some of them quickly and it seems that most of the parameter ranges are really extreme or not optimized for proper handling. Maybe I will take a closer look at them tomorrow and give you a more detailed feedback.
You are quite right that some ranges are quite extreme, but be aware that the parameter ranges are not solely for musical purposes, but should mimic the ranges of the corresponding effects in SOX as far as possible.

When looking at the sox sources in https://github.com/chirlu/sox/tree/master/src you'll find e.g. the parameter settings in "phaser.c" (where "NUMERIC_PARAMETER" defines the range and the "p->" parts the default value) as
Code:
NUMERIC_PARAMETER(in_gain  , .0, 1)
NUMERIC_PARAMETER(out_gain , .0, 1e9)
NUMERIC_PARAMETER(delay_ms , .0, 5)
NUMERIC_PARAMETER(decay    , .0, .99)
NUMERIC_PARAMETER(mod_speed, .1, 2)
/* Set non-zero defaults: */
p->in_gain   = .4;
p->out_gain  = .74;
p->delay_ms  = 3.;
p->decay     = .4;
p->mod_speed = .5;
The corresponding implementation in JSFXSOX/SOX_Phaser.jsfx is
Code:
slider1:inGain=0.4<0,1,0.001>In Gain [dB]
slider2:outGain=0.74<0,1000,0.001>Out Gain [dB]
slider3:delayInMilliseconds=3.0<0,5,0.001>Delay [ms]
slider4:decay=0.4<0,0.99,0.001>Decay
slider5:frequency=0.5<0.1,2.0,0.001>Modulation [Hz]
So the outGain is even limited here to 1000 instead of the 1E9 in sox (because I thought that a gain of 10⁹dB might be a bit over the top...). The same logic applies to the other effects, where I tried to faithfully deduce the allowed ranges from the original code as far as possible.

So do not spend too much time on the range exploration; the ranges are typically not defined by me, but by sox.
But nevertheless, I am looking forward to hearing your analysis!

Best regards,
DrTT
DrTT is offline   Reply With Quote