View Single Post
Old 01-01-2018, 09:06 AM   #80
Judders
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipstick View Post
Never heard of "bloatware"? Software full of features that no-one or maybe one or two users of the shouty variety wanted? And all of those features take effort designing, coding and maintaining. Effort that then can't be used to maintain or improve existing features because, despite what some users seem to think, development effort is not infinite. Just like users with no programming experience always think that their pet feature "should be really easy to program, can't take more than a few minutes". If it's that easy, get writing .

There's no harm in asking for a new feature. Just as there's no harm replying to that request with "I don't think that's needed" or "I already do that but this way...".

Steve
Loops, plugin skins, software instruments... this is what I think of in terms of "bloat". They increase the footprint of REAPER but only benefit those who want them.

Added functions like the notation editor, more functionality in the midi editor, automation items, new actions like the example of adding plugins to multiple selected tracks given a few posts above... these are great for the people who use them, and don't affect those who don't want to.

If there's already a valid way to do something, that's fine. It's the kind that go:

"Why would you want to do that? It's dumb, you shouldn't want to do that."

"Well, I can do it in these other DAW's."

"Well then, you should just bog off and keep using those DAW's then."

It's like everything in REAPER has to be defended as being perfect.
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote