View Single Post
Old 01-17-2012, 08:12 PM   #203
Bill12String
Human being with feelings

Default Loop Recording Macro

This is my first post and I love Reaper! I appriciate all the help and information that everyone provides. Reaper users are amazingly talented!

I was looking for an easy setup to allow me to do loop recording - keep recording in a loop and being able to hear all that I played while still recording more loops.

Here's what I'm doing now and it's working well so far for me. I have a recording template all set up like this:

1) mark the loop area (i.e. 4 / 8 bars,...)
2) Record enable a track for the loop recording session
3) Right click on the Record Enable being sure that "Monitor Track Media when recording" is checked
4) Make sure Options->New Recording that overlaps existing media items->Create new media items in separate lanes(layers) is checked

5) Start recording loops and save when done
6) Make sure the track you just recorded is still selected
6) Run "myTakeSplit" macro to split the item media into separate tracks (I have a macro hot key assigned: CtrlShift~

Here is myTakeSplit Macro:

Xenakios/SWS: Select first items of selected tracks
Edit: Cut items
SWS: Insert track above selected tracks
Transport: Go to start of project
Item: Paste items/tracks
Track: Go to next track

The macro is very simple but works great.

Each time the macro is run, it takes the top loop item and makes a new track above where the looped items are - keep pressing your hot key until the loop track empties out. The new tracks will be in order as they were recorded. You can delete unwanted tracks as needed.

I hope this helps someone out! If you haven't tried loop recording, it's great fun!!!
Bill12String is offline   Reply With Quote