View Single Post
Old 01-28-2020, 03:01 AM   #1
madphilly
Human being with feelings

Default Acoustic Guitar Recording tips

Hey guys!

Firstly I'd like to lay down that I'm totally green to recording processes. I've done the noob thing and browsed YouTube and this forum for tips and techniques etc., which I must say has been massively useful.

My question is around recording acoustic guitar. I have tried the DI approach, which I don't like too much, but volume-wise it's okay. I have a Behringer UMC22 AI and Fender Acoustasonic 40 Amp with DI out.

When recording through the instrument input in the AI, it's VERY quiet and I have to add 95% gain on the AI just to get anything through. Rumour has it that this is because of the pickup in the guitar (Taylor A10e, ES pickup). I don't have a pre-amp to boost the weak signal using this approach, aside from a Rowin Looper which boosts a little.

So, recording with Mic provides best results, but you have all the finger sounds and ambient noise which I'm unsure how to combat. I'm following vids about EQ and yesterday I tried the JSFX Spectrum Matcher approach, which was very good.

I read another post that mentioned recording both the DI and Mic'd input and 'blending' them.

Apologies for the lengthy post, I figured some background might help

TIA

Andy

EDIT: I'd like to add for completeness that the whole mix in this particular instance just includes the guitar, vocals and drums, so the guitar has a good level of focus.

Last edited by madphilly; 01-28-2020 at 03:44 AM. Reason: More info required
madphilly is offline   Reply With Quote