Banned
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subz View Post
[...] but the 'Rotery' control in TouchOSC
It's good to be that specific.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subz View Post
just sent 1 or 0 depending witch way you turn it, (i think) in Reaper this will make whatever its mapped to go from Max to Min only
That makes sense, as it is similar to one common method for using relative control with MIDI.

However, we don't have to follow or copy any existing standard (whatever MIDI, TouchOSC, or anything else is doing), especially if we can think of a better one.

As long as were using a single OSC address for any particular parameter, and we are already using values ranging from 0.0 to 1.0, imho it would be too confusing to use integer 0 / 1 numbers for relative control, while using float numbers (including 0.0 and 1.0) for 'absolute' control (they look too similar in human readable form, especially when the .0 gets truncated).

Another option would of course be to add a dedicated address. But I think that does not make much sense. We would be doing so mainly to accommodate the legacy convention of sending 1's and 0's, that originated from an ancient namespace (MIDI CC#) where it simply was 'impossible' to have a negative value at all. Hence, "0" occasionally got to be misused to mean "-1". I don't see a good reason to stick to that convention with OSC, where we are free to just say "-1" if that's what we really mean to say.