View Single Post
Old 03-01-2012, 11:07 AM   #311
Banned
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subz View Post
any plans to support rotary controls as relative controllers in 3.16?
OSC messages should not care if the controllers used are rotaries. Do you have a controller with rotaries that sends OSC messages, and if so, what is its syntax for relative mode (if you can not arbitrarily change it)?

If those controls are just sending plain MIDI, we already can achieve this by means of bridging MIDI (incl. relative control modes using MIDI) to OSC outside of REAPER. The 'bridge' part is informed about the absolute values of parameters in REAPER, since REAPER sends them as feedback, and those parameters can then be manipulated by the MIDI controller sending relative control values to the bridge. I.e. the bridge can do the absolute OSC <--> relative MIDI conversion.

And as far as OSC clients go (as opposed to 'dumb' MIDI controllers), they should probably be smart enough to do the same thing.

Not saying I don't want relative control support for OSC too, I still do.

It also occurred to me the other day that when the FR of being able to poll current values would be implemented, one could use that to implement relative control in even more flexible ways (since that removes the dependency on REAPER sending feedback). If I want to add x to an unknown parameter value y, and can e.g. send "?" to get the current value back, it's easy enough to do x + y myself (or have an app do it for me, of course). In other words, the FR for relative control and the FR for polling current values could in fact be considered as one.