View Single Post
Old 12-19-2012, 04:48 AM   #163
jaava
Human being with feelings

I moved from pc to mac about a year ago. I had a hp laptop (broke down btw. and my brother's hp laptop had overheating issue caused by idiotic fan design. HP never again.) before and reasons why i chose mac were:

1. i really prefer osx user interface to win7.
2. osx is unix so i have a real command terminal to use and the same tools that i use on my studies with linux-machines work on my laptop as well.
3. with pc i always had problems with poor quality power supply (poor SMPS on my hp caused a lot of noise on live situations) and i really didn't want to use a lot of time finding a pc with a decent pover supply. Never had those problems with my mac.
4. on my pc i always had to switch off wireless network because it caused pops and glitches with asio drivers (it was usual practice to suggest this as a solution to sound problems). Never had those problems with my mac.
5. after fighting for a millionth time with windows registry issues i swore i would never again use a microsoft product.

Windows works great on a dedicated daw machine. So if you are building a studio machine go with pc. If you however want to use your computer for everything else too mac has (or at least had 2 years ago) a lot less problems.

During the last 10 years windows has become a lot better. With xp and vista dll hell was still very common (especially with printers and some games making their own updates on system libraries). Win7 has suffered much less from dll issues. However with mac i've never suffered from any dependency issues (although i've heard there has been some in the past).

I actually have a win7 dualboot on this mbp. I need it because i have to use sonar in one project every spring. Otherwise i use it for gaming. Only one major registry issue so far.

Edit: I've very little experience with win8. Tested it in store but at least that unit had some weird problems with touch gestures not working properly. With mouse the metro ui was absolutely hideous to use. The graphics are over simplified to the level where they look god but are extremely uninformative (you cannot for exemple always tell which parts are buttons). And most of the applications would anyways throw you back to traditional desktop. I don't know how stable it is but the ui needs a lot of tweaking.

Last edited by jaava; 12-19-2012 at 04:55 AM.
jaava is offline   Reply With Quote