View Single Post
Old 05-28-2010, 06:32 PM   #97
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamWathan View Post
I respectfully disagree... The whole reason why our menus are a mess in the first place is due to this fear of losing perfect backwards workflow compatibility with older version. It seems like the devs aren't willing to actually push forward with improvements to the basic workflow and organization within the software because they don't want to "break" anything for existing users. Reaper is the only piece of software I've ever used that progress this way. If there is a better, more efficient way to do something, shouldn't it just replace the older less efficient way? Old users will get used to it, trust me. They will even learn to prefer it!

So much anger arises when a company like Facebook changes the layout of their page, but a week later nobody can even remember what it looked like before.

We need to make forward progress and leave the past behind once in a while, we can't just keep spinning our wheels while new features and functionality bloat up the menus and GUI out of fear of losing the old stuff.
You may well be right, I just can't help feeling uncomfortable with denying individual users the right to choose for themselves where possible. At least for a transitional period ...
nicholas is offline   Reply With Quote