View Single Post
Old 08-16-2018, 12:13 PM   #18
bmentink
Human being with feelings

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the suggestions:

I think what is happening is this:
The software midi device I am using (ttyMIDI) basically opens the alsa sequencer and takes midi commands over USB and sends them to the virtual midi device.

I can see why it won;t work with REAPER then if it has to have a raw midi device, and it explains why ttyMIDI always worked just fine with the likes of renoise or timidity.

(and guys, to be clear, I don't USE timidity, I just installed it to see if it could see my virtual midi device, and it is definitely not running )

@Jason
Apart from using Jack, how do I use REAPER to connect to an Alsa virtual midi device, is it as simple as connecting the "virtual" device that appears in the midi setup in preferences? I did not try it because I did not think that was my device..

When I get back to my machine I will give it a try (am at work at the mo ..)

If REAPER advertises a virtual midi port, then I could use "aconnect" to link it to my device ...
Ideally, it would be great if REAPER supported virtual alsa midi ports though ..

@Jason
Here is a link to the alsa version of the code for ttyMIDI: (.. there is a JACK version around as well )
https://github.com/cjbarnes18/ttymidi/

Last edited by bmentink; 08-16-2018 at 01:55 PM.
bmentink is offline   Reply With Quote