View Single Post
Old 01-17-2013, 10:06 AM   #232
nonobvious
Human being with feelings

just got my D5's last night and immediately played all my favorite songs

i realize there's a need for some break-in time, but these monitors are, from what i can tell, much much better than my wharfedale active diamond 8.2's (which i felt were worse than the KRK 5's i had to sell after college).

Initial reactions:
1. the stereo imaging is crazy good. almost makes all the panning from my fav dance music producers annoying, lol. very precise and kept making me want to look in the direction of each sound.

2. i'm hearing a lot of words/lyrics clearly for the first time, which makes me sad that I didn't know about these speakers earlier. and along with that, a lot of quieter elements that i had no idea existed are just plain to my ears now. in general the midrange seems a lot more prominent.

3. even turning these up loud-ish, you are hard pressed to feel any of the low end. but you can hear all the notes and tones super clear.

4. there's a very quiet hiss when nothing is playing, but i've heard that's normal and i'm fine with it. (i'm using 1/4" TRS btw).

conclusion: pretty damn happy, this is definitely an upgrade for me. thank you to the reaper forums as usual.
nonobvious is offline   Reply With Quote