View Single Post
Old 05-21-2018, 11:34 AM   #414
Jack Winter
Human being with feelings

If wanting to use many windows plugins (especially needing overrides), using separate wine prefixes might be a good idea.

A wine prefix is a directory structure that contains the installed programs and a registry. All programs started out of it, share a wineserver and some other helper programs. The wineserver is there to make sure that applications can share resources, communicate, etc.

Basically a wine prefix is a complete windows install, and the best is that you can have many of them. This is useful as they can have different dll overrides, settings, etc. It's also useful as you can make backups, have several versions of the same plugin suite installed in parallel, disable a group of plugins if they cause problems, etc.

My reccommendation is to do something like this.

1 Make a dir to contain the different prefixes: mkdir ~/.wvst-prefix
2 Create a new 64b prefix: WINEPREFIX=~/.wvst-prefix/fabfilter winecfg
3 Install needed overrides: WINEPREFIX=~/.wvst-prefix/fabfilter winetricks ...
4 Install your plugins into the prefix: WINEPREFIX=~/.wvst-prefix/fabfilter wine Setup.exe
5 Create the directory ~/.wvst to contain symlinks: mkdir ~/.wvst
6 In .wvst create a symlink to the dir containing the vst plugins: ln -s ~/.wvst-prefixes/fabfilter/drive_c/Program\ Files/VSTPlugins/ ~/.wvst/fabfilter
7 In reaper add ~/.wvst to the vst search pack.

To speed up load time it's useful to prestart the wineserver before running reaper: WINEPREFIX=~/.wvst-prefixes/fabfilter wineserver -p
And to stop it after reaper exits: WINEPREFIX=~/.wvst-prefixes/fabfilter wineserver -k &

After updating the installed wine version, the registry files will be rescanned which takes time. To speed up loading after updating wine, do: WINEPREFIX=~/.wvst-prefixes/fabfilter wineboot -u

Personally I start reaper from a shell script. I added ~/bin to contain scripts to run and put export PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin in ~.bashrc.

Then in ~/bin/rp I've put (slimmed down ):
Code:
#/bin/bash
export WINE_RT=40
export STAGING_RT_PRIORITY_BASE=40
export WINE_SRV_RT=41
export STAGING_RT_PRIORITY_SERVER=41

export WINEDEBUG=-all
WINEPREFIX=~/.wvst-prefixes/fabfilter wineserver -p
WINEPREFIX=~/.wvst-prefixes/ik-multimedia wineserver -p
WINEPREFIX=~/.wvst-prefixes/komplete8 wineserver -p
WINEPREFIX=~/.wvst-prefixes/mixed wineserver -p
WINEPREFIX=~/.wvst-prefixes/nebula wineserver -p
WINEPREFIX=~/.wvst-prefixes/sstillwell wineserver -p

/home/jack/reaper-linux/reaper_linux_x86_64/REAPER/reaper5

WINEPREFIX=~/.wvst-prefixes/fabfilter wineserver -k &
WINEPREFIX=~/.wvst-prefixes/ik-multimedia wineserver -k &
WINEPREFIX=~/.wvst-prefixes/komplete8 wineserver -k &
WINEPREFIX=~/.wvst-prefixes/mixed wineserver -k &
WINEPREFIX=~/.wvst-prefixes/nebula wineserver -k &
WINEPREFIX=~/.wvst-prefixes/sstillwell wineserver -k &
Don't forget to make the script executable: chmod 755 ~/bin/rp

LinVst will automatically detect the prefix the plugin is installed in, with other bridges you might have to add some extra configuration.

To remove plugins from reaper just delete the symlink: rm ~/.wvst/fabfiler
To make a backup: cp -r ~/.wvst-prefixes/fabfilter ~/backups/fabfilter
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040, etc. :)

Last edited by Jack Winter; 09-01-2018 at 03:10 AM. Reason: fixing a typo
Jack Winter is offline   Reply With Quote