View Single Post
Old 12-05-2017, 04:38 AM   #288
fundorin
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Waddington View Post
AHA, I think I finally get what you are driving at, thanks for your patience, I can be slow at times

You are talkin' UI.

There will be no UI in the first version so that we can cut the development time to about 1/3 as stated in the architecture post a few back.
Again, I wasn't talking about UI. Not about GUI at the computer screen, at least. Definitely about LCD screen on the surface, though.

Quote:
This allows us to get something out there to the good folks a lot faster.

Now as to a discussion about the UI....

Have been thinking about this for a LONG time.
I get it. The faster the prototype can reach the end user to start testing, the better.

Quote:
All theses endless configuration windows, your post a few back beautifully illustrates the clutter and confusion I'm trying to eliminate.
In fact, that floating red-black window in automap is called by a special key, so that user can not only see the parameter's names on LCD, with only 7 parameters at the time, but all of them, at once. For one page of controls, at least. I find this approach very convenient, actually. You just need to press one button to see more then 48 mapping in one window. This is handy when switching between different FXs, cause I don't think that anybody can remember all those mapping.

Quote:
So what is the actual use case here ?

User wants to connect a widget to an action.

OK, seems simple, let's eliminate all this intermediary garbage and just do this:
Yep.

Quote:
User presses button on surface
Dialog pops up with list of actions
User selects action
DONE - now widget on surface is associated with Reaper action.
I don't get this part. What actions would be displayed in the list? What if one action is meant to be toggle and the other one is value range? Can user define this for the control?

Can't we just use Reaper's own learn function that would trigger new lines for mappings in the map file for the selected plugin?

This is Battery 4 parameters list. Do you suggest this to be displayed when the learn button is pressed? https://i.imgur.com/tegsKPr.png
Mapping all of them mapping can drive mad anyone. But, having pregereated mapping file can help. Or, while "learn" mode is enable, pressing parameter on the screen and then desired control on the surfaces, in pairs, can speed up the mapping process a lot.
Where the name (both short and long) of the plugin could be changed, during the learn process?
Why not use Reaper's method of "last touched parameter" together with "last touched widget", for example?

Quote:
Under the hood the file format remains the same, it is just populated by a
(hopefully) VERY simple UI.
To be honest, I don't see anything terrible in good UI. The plugin itself would have options, like this - https://i.imgur.com/LB9TlGc.png
It can also have GUI (I actually don't know if it's possible with CSurf SDK), so the consoles that don't have LCD, like BCF2000 could display mapped parameters names and values, like some other software does, if I'm not mistaken.

Last edited by fundorin; 12-05-2017 at 04:46 AM.
fundorin is offline   Reply With Quote