View Single Post
Old 04-14-2012, 05:14 AM   #1
Falcon
Human being with feelings

Default "REAPER vs WAVES" Try to match this sound with Reaper Plug-ins ONLY

Hi all,

I am a VO guy of 25 years- but brand new to Reaper and probably donīt have the technical expertise to pull this off on my own- at least not without some severe headaches. I am in critical need of your expertise and assistance. I have a colleague who has an awesome sound who uses Waves as his EQ. Granted, he has some equipment that is different than mine- but I want that sound or as close to it as possible (if possible). I was encouraged by Reaper support to issue this challenge: Is it possible using Reaper plug-ins only to duplicate as closely as possible his sound? (no I do not know what plug-ins he uses within Waves). There are comparative files attached to this thread for you to use in this quest. The file "What I have" is my raw out of the mic audio with no EQ, no compression and no sweetening. The "What I want" is his audio using Waves EQ and his compression which was designed by a pro audio guy. Any help whatsoever will be greatly appreciated! If you are able to pull it off, please let me know which Reaper plug-in (s) you used and what their settings should be. I do VO work daily, but just cannot seem to find that "sweet spot" and with me being brand new to Reaper- I get a bit overwhelmed by all that is available. Help me Obi Wan- YOUīRE MY ONLY HOPE!

UPDATE*********************************4 / 17

OK guys,

I think I mentioned that I am brand new to Reaper- I am probably doing something or many things wrong. But- the only file that loaded properly was Renoīs- the rest are missing files and they are offline in Reaper. I am sure it sounds like a newbie stupid thing- but you know what? I am a newbie and stupid when it comes to Reaper. So, I am going to the soundbooth now to record a piece of audio where I do not move and treat it just like one of my client sessions. If any care to give another go at it and upload "all" the files so that I can double click on the Reaper session file and go with it- it will be greatly appreciated. Many thanks!

*********************UPDATE 2 4-17 Tuesday******************************************* *****************************

OK, Here is a revised version of "What I Have" that I just did. I also need to tell you that- the original What I Have was not recorded in Reaper but a version of Adobe Audition. I have noticed a significant difference in the raw recording between them. This one was recorded in Reaper and no efx, eq, compression was added. I know everybody is doing this on their own time and I cannot express my gratitude enough. Maybe this will be a better file to edit since it is more in line with how I position myself etc. The only thing I did to this was normalize to -1. This style of read is similar to the style I am asked to perform quite often and will be a better source for your processing.

**************************update after listening******************************* 4-17 Tuesday***********************

(Please see my previous post for a new file actually recorded in Reaper)

Once again- thanks to everyone who took part in this little experiment.

All were good in their own right. But, Ollie and Tod were getting close to what I was looking for and Tod even more so because there was a bit more high end and clarity. I think all of these are a bit over compressed though. There are times when I need that "punch" like for some video games or movie trailer that I do. If you will notice in my colleagues audio- it has that "big" sound- but doesnīt sound like it is in a vice-grip. Tod, is there any way to bring this about- a bit more clarity, yet keep that big presence? I have placed the revised audio in the track where you chain resides and it is very nice- but a bit too much compression and a bit too "boomy". I understand if you guys are all getting tired of me- but any additional help would be great. We are getting very close.

I dont know if you all saw my post where I said I am happy to offer some free voice-work for the person who finds the sweet spot for me. Maybe you need a trailer or something for a club mix of some sort. Give a listen to what I might can do for you here: http://www.voices.com/demos/montylewis and let me know if any tweaking can be done on this Tod. Thanks! BTW- I was able to adjust one of Tods efx a bit and brought down the rumble a bit. Gettin there :-) I just brought down the freq between 88.8 and 100 on the Rea EQ and itīs even better.

BTW- how do I get rid of the popping on playback?

Just checked this out in my sound booth and did a sample read based on the Tod fx chain- (which I believe was initially created by Jonny and tweaked by Tod?) and I gotta say- WOW! What a freaking change! And what is interesting to me is that I hear absolutely NO room noise whatsoever. Obviously that is one of these plug-ins hard at work. How did that happen? Which one is it? I am absolutely stoked and damn happy right now!
Attached Files
File Type: zip Reaper vs Waves II.zip (1.33 MB, 331 views)

Last edited by Falcon; 04-17-2012 at 03:01 AM. Reason: Status update and new audio
Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote