View Single Post
Old 09-03-2014, 05:01 AM   #84
Lawrence
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by clepsydrae View Post
Hmmm, well, it's the latter that I'm on about... In terms of not-ancient ADCs made by companies that anyone has heard of, I'm not convinced that there is such a thing as "overdriving unfavorably" if you're peaking at the analog input such that the digital signal exhibits peaks just under 0 dBFS.
Are you actually reading what you're responding to? I specifically talked about overdriving a preamp not the ADC.

Quote:
Sorry to not pick, but just in case anyone is confused by this: AFAIK the RMS will be ~71% of a sine test tone, and AFAICT the meter in Reaper at least reflects this as well (unless it's displaying with a "display offset", which it does by 14dB by default):
Yes that is a really huge "propeller beany" nitpick. We're talking reality, not the physics lab. Case in point, here is a 440hz sine wave where the peak and RMS are - for all practical purposes - metering the same visually. The white line is RMS...

I don't need to reduce that to scientific numbers on a chart to make that basic point between that and the gap in a snare drum signal. That's another problem with digital recording, too many people worrying about too much minutia that has no real practical context.

Last edited by Lawrence; 09-03-2014 at 06:36 AM.
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote