Thread: v4: Midi
View Single Post
Old 12-03-2010, 10:42 AM   #62
Sound asleep
Human being with feelings

i think the issue with standard notation is that it's actually quite complicated to do well. to get soemthing simple would be, ok still not super easy, but easier. but then if that were made, there would be so many complaints about features it doesn't have, about how hard it is to get certain things working properly, i think it would cause more problems than it would solve. sibellius and finale are quite hardcore. even the cubase notation editor is good but still not as good as those.

but for me, personally, i don't see why i'd want that unless it was to export my midi parts into sheet music, which a 3rd party software should be able to do easily.

for writting i find standard notation has alot more to think about, you need to count all your time and everything, and if you put a small delay in something you'll need to account for it in rests and all that. idk, it's alot of headaches for me. and that's why it's complicated to write. i mean play a part in midi on your piano and then put that into a note editor, it will be unreadable, so you would need to quantize first and quantize lengths of notes before having the editor translate it into standard notation, and sometimes this gets bad results.

personally apart from being able to rotate the piano roll 90 degrees, i don't see how writing can be easier than a piano roll. especially if you are playing your parts and not programming them.

i understand though that people are different and that's cool, for a notation editor to be created for those that want to use it is fine by me. but i'm quite certain that even if one was made it would not suffice really for people that want to use it. a notation editor in my eyes, in order to be useable, is a hell of alot of work. especially when you consider comments like musescore sucks too much to use. it's not too likely that reaper's notation editor, a little added feature to the software will way outperform full fledged 3rd party software that does only score editing.

if it was me, i'd give up on that dream and find the best most workflowish way to get what you want from 3rd party software.
Sound asleep is offline   Reply With Quote