View Single Post
Old 09-28-2015, 07:21 AM   #10
kirk1701
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magicbuss View Post

Kirk I'm really interested in why you want to use drum samples. Are you talking about augmenting or replacing? I am actively resisting the temptation to bring in samples because this song was well recorded in a truly great studio. I am used to mixing stuff I record in "less than ideal" spaces, with marginal instruments and players. Samples are par for the course but I don't want them to be a crutch.
I just want to augment the snare. I have a serious hunch their mix uses them also. I'm glad you point out the phase issues with the snares though. That may make a difference. I'll send you my latest mix via PM and you can give me your thoughts.

I think this can sound like the Allman Bros with two drummers, so I have it the back of my mind to set up a sample kit to augment the live kit. If I can use the live stuff by itself, that'd be ideal, but the snare just isn't the correct pitch for my taste. It's a low "thwonk" rather than a crisp "crack."

Last edited by kirk1701; 09-28-2015 at 08:02 AM.
kirk1701 is offline   Reply With Quote