View Single Post
Old 07-11-2019, 11:23 AM   #17
Peterk312
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
Hold on...
Put down the screwdrivers just yet.

Grab a mic (a shit 57 will do in a pinch). You're going to record each speaker.

JS Tone Generator plugin.
Record 3 tones from each speaker separately. A high, mid, and low frequency. Pick something that's in the range of each driver in the speaker. (Two tones if these are only two way speakers.)
Then record a frequency sweep on each one. This will let you look at the cross-over points for any phase issues.

Mic in front of left speaker. Record. Beep Boop Bum Sweep. Repeat for the right.

Zoom in on the waves you recorded. You'll see if anything is out of phase and be able to evaluate each driver. There's no reason for any of this to be a mystery or difficult to evaluate. But real quick, out of phase speakers in stereo will throw everything to one side of the room.
Yes. What you describe about sound thrown to the side (almost sounded like behind the monitors) is exactly what was happening. One of the first tests I did was go to a website: https://www.richardfarrar.com/are-yo...red-correctly/ Downloaded the file called "out-of-phase." When the announcer says "You should now be hearing my voice in phase," it sounded like a dual mono with the voice equally coming out of both speakers way to the side but definitely NOT centered in the stereo field. When the announcer says, "You should now be hearing my voice out of phase," the voice was dead center in the stereo image. That's supposed to be indicative of the speakers being out of phase. Only when I reversed polarity on one of the speaker cables, I got the expected results with the test.

The test you describe is interesting. I will try that later.
Peterk312 is offline   Reply With Quote