View Single Post
Old 03-20-2012, 01:00 PM   #21
jnif
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by semiquaver View Post
my suggestion is a sub-option of a) then where the note is split but a muted tail is present in the next clip.

the advantage is that you might decide you want to open the clip up to the left in which case you would want the option of turning that note back on.
Are you proposing that notes from the original item should be revealed when extending the edges of slit item? I think that is not currently possible in Reaper. Or is it? I think you have actually included another feature request into your split behaviour proposal.

EDIT: Answering to my own question. It is possible. Disable "Allow trim of MIDI items when splitting" in Preferences/Media/MIDI.

And maybe it is not necessary to show the muted tails of notes in the beginnig of split item. Or presenting muted items could be just a display option, not necessarily related to splitting. Because the same "problem" exists also in trimmed/resized MIDI items. I.e. when shortening MIDI item by moving left edge right, there are at least three alternative behaviours:
1. Hide and don't play notes that start outside item edge.
2. Mute notes that start outside item edge and display the muted "partial" notes inside item.
3. Create new note-on at item start for all notes that start outside item and end inside item. (current behaviour)

jnif

Last edited by jnif; 03-20-2012 at 01:27 PM.
jnif is offline   Reply With Quote