View Single Post
Old 06-12-2020, 11:50 AM   #31
siniarch
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by inertia View Post
I've tested it many times and it's not suitable for use with the Faderport. Scribbles don't work and the units lose connectivity if Reaper loses focus. The basic transport buttons are working and the faders but not much else. It also needs to be used in MCU mode, so no improved functionality there over the other drivers.

I've actually gone over to Studio One 4 and Mixbus for my mixes now.
Please, please take the following statement with the best intentions and what I truly want is for people to realize the powerful abilities of CSI and how it can help everyone in the future. Tone is very hard to convey over text and I'm hoping the following doesn't come off as an attack and more as spreading of information.

But I purchased a QCon Pro G2 unit and initially it didn't work. I tried Klinke, and PoweredByMoss (both of which are great and very kind of the developers to share btw), until I found CSI which is way more configurable. I tried using the pre-made files from the QCon Pro X which should be similar. Initially didn't work at all and later found out that some files were missing. Once I got those files, it worked better. But really what I had to do was to dissect what the Pro X configuration files were doing, and re-build a configuration file for the Pro G2 unit. I basically have every single button working on the my G2 unit and many I've customized to exactly what I want. I'm still tweaking it, but compared to the lack of support and functionality from the manufacturer's protocols, this is night and day.

So, you may be right in that CSI might not work out of the box currently, but that is because someone hasn't taken the time to create files that will utilize all it's options (scribbles, buttons, faders, etc..) The CSI project allows you to map any Midi Surface to commands in Reaper, but it doesn't have every controlled configured. The guys making it are great people, Geoff is incredible and spending lots of his time working on it. (not selling it btw. Just giving it to people to use) but he doesn't have every controller out there. Therefore, it's up to the users who want to integrate their own controller to map it and provide that mapping so others that need it can get a starting point and then configure to their liking from there.

Unless I'm missing something and the fader port 16 doesn't give access to the scribbles or something similar, it should work with CSI. But someone has to make the initial time and effort investment in order to do that. If you would like to do that yourself, I'll be happy to help with my limited knowledge of it. But we can get on the phone or skype and show you what I did for my controller.

But to say that CSI doesn't work with FaderPort is inaccurate and it may prevent others from taking the time to configure it. Which in essence will prevent any people in the future from ever using the FaderPort 16 with reaper. Because they read it wasn't possible. (again, unless I'm missing something with the faderport being somehow restrictive to access some of it's functions. but I doubt it)

So perhaps it's better to state it as, The CSI project doesn't have a currently pre-mapped configuration file for the FaderPort 16 and I either don't have the time to figure it our or the desire to. But if someone does, please let me know and I'll give it a try.

Geoff or anyone at the CSI project that thinks I've misspoken, please feel free to correct me and I'll update my message. Perhaps I'm not aware of a faderport limitation you guys are.
siniarch is offline   Reply With Quote