View Single Post
Old 01-15-2019, 05:51 AM   #2330
dixo
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Waddington View Post
What's really wrong here with the X-Touch Compact, BCR2000, and the Console 1 by the way, is the way they set the lights.

These surfaces commit the cardinal sin of setting the lights from the buttons -- they should be completely separate operations in a proper design.

Only the DAW should set the button lights, encoder positions, etc.

Is there a way to set your BCR preset so that it does not set the lights, etc.?
I don't think there is any way to disable the internal feedback of the button state to the LED on the BCR2000.

From a DAW control surface point of view I agree that the 'internal feedback' of the BCR and the likes is wrong. But I think that at least the BCR was originally more intended as a generic controller for 'classic' MIDI hardware like synths, in a one-way setup. In that case - no feedback from the controlled device - the internal feedback of the BCR makes perfect sense.
In fact, this feedback also happens for the LED rings around the knobs, but so far I have not found any conflicts with CSI for these. But it would conflict if you want the LED ring to show something different than what the BCR sets (can't think of any practical scenario at the moment).

In any case, it would be really great if CSI can adapt to the quirks of some of the surfaces that are around and it seems you have already implemented the solution: an '..FBR' button widget that sends the LED state (= state of the Reaper parameter currently mapped to the button widget) when receiving the 'button release' message. It just looks like the wrong state is transmitted.

If CSI would periodically transmit/refresh the state of all LED widgets it would also fix the problem. That is probably a matter of what implementation you prefer, and scalability.

Last edited by dixo; 01-15-2019 at 05:56 AM.
dixo is offline   Reply With Quote