View Single Post
Old 03-26-2020, 05:10 AM   #93
terminar
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by brummbear View Post
If I have had more time I would have sniffed the USB traffic already w Wireshark to figure out how to control these.
Finished (first shot). I fired up wireshark and maschine 2, started capturing and gave power to my S61. And (that's much more important) i can see the traffic from the S61 with 3 different sources and different protocol stuff (USB,SYSEX,USBHID). I'll take a look tomorrow at the captured data further (and recreate new logs pressing the buttons a specific amount to identify them in the dump). If you'll give me some contact data i can provide you the dump.

Quote:
Thus, if you have time to tinker around a little I would be interested to understand how we could make these buttons work.
Time? No - same problem like you But i'll try.

Quote:
In general my philosophy is to keep things lean and not overload the extension with too much stuff though (also to keep CPU to the absolute minimum). The basics should follow 1:1 NI design intent as per user manual.
Great, my personal interest + requirements are a bit additional, i want to get some workflow like in Maschine 2 + Ableton but with Reaper and the KK (and my APC Key25 and whatever will follow like Maschine MK3 vs. Push2). My general Lua foo is also trained since *some* years and i'll also try to take a further look at the Reascript stuff. It's like Christmas for me currently getting into this.

Quote:
keyboard and DAW / KK-Software. For those who want tons of extras there is DrivenbyMoss which I think is another great extension - just too heavy for my use case.
I know the following is not rational but rather subjective: I tried DrivenbyMoss (and in general i love it) but - i HATE Java. Just kidding, i can live with that but i had some problems configuring DrivenbyMoss.
It was sort of disturbing to deactivate the KK stuff in the Midi devices, configure somewhere in the OSC section, then my KK wasn't found until i searched the manual, provide the "correct" name and so on. I like some sort of "zero touch" and auto configuration if possible. It doesn't work and feel well for me with D4M yet. Then i tried/ported reaKontrol and it just worked. That (and additionally it's C++ code which provides easier way to tinker with it) catched me.

Quote:
Regarding Ableton: Add the Playtime Extension from Helgoboss together with a Launchpad to the above setup and you have an even more flexible non linear workflow in my opinion than Ableton incl Push has to offer.
Hm, tried Playtime and found it "limitating" and irritating - but maybe i have to read more documentation. Regarding "workflow" and where i want to go: I'm currently constructing my first "bedroom producer studio" to do stuff, mainly for myself. I learned really much the last months about the DAW world and about current devices (and due to the situation that Thomann is nearby i also had a look at much devices). I was playing Piano for a long time (and also a long time ago), i heared the Komplete 12 Piano instruments and the other stuff and then tested the S61, that was the kickstart.

In some of the next month i wanted to buy the Push2 with Ableton Suite (currently i am really limited to 8track light version). I really like Ableton and that was my first choice but as the time goes by I'm shattered between some Reaper-Maschine2-Ableton-Push2 decision. The really first productive thing i was "proud of" that got finished last weekend was created with Reaper+reaKontrol+Maschine2 when i realized how Maschine 2 really works (and when i discovered retrigger). I don't like that the patterns can't be played to the end when switching (like with retrigger on scenes) or as with Ableton. BUT - The work with Track-Pattern-Scene in Maschine 2 + Reaper was great and productive. That's why i'm back thinking about Maschine MK3 instead of Push2. BUT - that's out of the scope of this topic.

Yes, in general the "Ableton" stuff can be done e.g. with Super8 (but limited to 8 pads?) and/or Playtime (but also limited regarding hardware device support) in Reaper. And now you know my interest in reaKontrol - try to extend it for the workflow in my head that's not fully there yet.
And yes, music can be made with every software and device but i'm just a little weird and picky - things have to feel right for me, that's the main part of my situation.

Whatever, back to reaKontrol: I'll try to take a look at the dumps the next days. If you are interested, PM about contact information (mail, upload possibility, maybe github?) because I don't think that sharing such "development data" like pcap dumps and logs within this forum topic is the best idea. Some logs/dumps *may* contain hardware, system and personal specific information i don't want to be spread over the internet.
terminar is offline   Reply With Quote