View Single Post
Old 11-19-2011, 02:41 PM   #56
Nick Morris
Human being with feelings

So...

I think MIDI over ethernet would be ideal. I hate the idea of USB and firewire. Mac OSX already has support for MIDI over ethernet, and rtpMIDI works perfectly for windows 32bit and 64bit, while being constantly kept up to date with companies like Harmon Studer using it in their consoles commercially.

This would simplify things greatly, and enhance latency figures for MIDI.

No one else has had any real suggestion on price point, so I am guessing it is fine and moving on.

First up are the essential pieces that make the controller. We need to contribute to make a proper list and figure what can "fit" in the proposed price bracket and what will not.

starting small with obvious needs for the main module with a price bracket of $500-$1000 include"

Post exactly what you would like for these sections, like for example a bank button to bank between banks of 8 channels, or a function that brings the channel clicked by the mouse to the control surface as the first fader. Make suggestions so we can start figuring out what hardware is needed.

1. Touch sensitive motorised moving faders (I think this is covered -8ch+master on main module)*now 1 fader on main unit*

2. Touch sensitive encoders (How many, for what use, and how you would like feedback displayed)

3. Graphical representation of parameters/navigation (whatever will be best... LCD, LED, OLED, Touch Screen, etc. Any tips on which is the best route and why?)

4. Full transport section (including jog wheel and marker selection, etc.- List what you want here)

5. Dedicated section for automation (List which functions you would like to see for this area)

6. section featuring user defined soft keys (How many, What would you use them for?)

Remember, we could always use the same hardware to complete many different functions. For example, a jog wheel could be used to do the obvious and scrub, used to zoom in and out, used as a selection tool to scroll through different options, move the focus of the mixer or timeline, etc.
-A touch screen could be used for track parameter adjustment, menu navigation, action selection, surround panning, channel selection, etc.
I think you get the idea.

Ok, go!

Last edited by Nick Morris; 11-20-2011 at 03:42 PM. Reason: changed basic design idea to 1 fader master unit
Nick Morris is offline   Reply With Quote