View Single Post
Old 03-06-2010, 08:09 AM   #12
Peevy
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladerunner View Post
spend a decent amount of time with the demo of each synth because there are a few factors that you need to consider. firstly, do you like the sound of the synth? if you buy a synth for any less reason than the sound of it you will never be happy with it and end up selling it. trust me! ie. on paper zebra 2.5 looks like the most capable, all you will ever need synth ever, but the sound of it does nothing for me so it would be useless to me personally. secondly, how easy/intuitive is it to program? if you don't get on with the interface you will just end up frustrated and, again, probably end up selling it. also, how easy is it to dial in the kind of sounds you like? i LOVE the sound of old analogue synths so i bought myself a copy of vaz plus 2 which easily has one of the most convincing analogue esque sounds - but i just can't get a sound i am happy with from the thing! schwa's olga on the other hand, i can get a great sound out of every time without even trying hard. strange.

you just have to demo, demo, demo...
I hear ya bladerunner. I'm still in make my mind up mode. I liked Zebra initially but found it a bit frustrating getting the sound I was looking for. Surge was pretty good but I found the interface a bit awkward & to my ears the actual sound quality wasnt as good as the others. I did like the fact that Surge came with a 64bit version. Alchemy was a different story altogether. I found the interface a delight to work with & the sounds I was getting with just the first couple of presets I loaded was very tweak-able & pleasing to the ear. I'm still gonna play about with the others for a while before I make my mind up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by technogremlin View Post
Before throwing around some cash I suggest you take a look at Oatmeal and Synth1. The first has some very impressive progrock sounds among it's available patches (think 'Jordan Rudess') and the other tmo is still one of the best 'bread and butter' synths around.

Both free to be had and both with hundreds or even thousands of patches available on the net

PS. for Oatmeal really get the LimeFlavour skin (he's a Reaperite as well), the default Oatmeal skin is seriously ugly and might have you think it is less then useful. Looks can be deceitful you know

Check here for the download links: http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=52382
I have Synth1 but I haven't tried Oatmeal yet. I think I tried Oatmeal out a few years ago in Cubase but could never get it working. I'll spend a bit more time playing with these too. Believe me I'd be a very happy camper If I can get what I'm looking for free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by henge View Post
Omnisphere....Awesome.
Sorry henge. £340 is way above my measly budget.

Thanks for all the suggetions so far guys. Gotta love this forum