View Single Post
Old 08-05-2012, 09:30 AM   #8
Andy Hamm
Human being with feelings

First off I have very little experience with Macs, so I'm not going to bash on them.

I would guess that it was just people using what they are used to. At one point, Macs were very different from PC's in a few major ways:

1. Hardware - they used to use Motorolla RISC Processors so they had to obviously use a different platform as far a s motherboards etc went.

2. No clones - Apple had full control over production. Unless you count the Motorola Star Macs in teh late nineties. This meant that compatibility wasn't as much as an issue, as if you are running a Mac, everyone had pretty much the same thing inside of the box. A much easier platform to develop on.

3. Their own OS. Mac used to have it's own OS, it was completely written by Apple (as far as I know). Since they had control over drivers etc, everything was just so much simpler from a user's pov.

4. Hollywood. If you watch movies since the 90's, Apple has spent a hell of alot of money making sure that every computer you see on TV or in a movie is a Mac. They're marketing is second to none, who else could take an Ipod, make it bigger when everyone else was going smaller call it an IPad and make it a sucess? The prevelence of Macs in graphic arts, the Music industry and the film industry is not 100% as some people would have you believe. I've been to many of these places that have both Macs as well as PCs.

At some point, Apple caught onto the fact that all that mattered was pont 4. They became a sales machine, and started marketing the hell out of all of their products. Even the stupid ones, like the iMac that included a computer built into the monitor, which other Macs had done before, sold like crazy. The Mac itself slowly started loosing its real identity, they got rid of the RISK processors and went with Intel, making them essentailly PCs. They then went with a a Linux Based OS, abondoning that portion of the identity as well. What you are left with now, is really just a branded PC running Linux, but with a corporation that is standing behind it. So in my opinion, the current state of Mac is that it is just a better PC. At some point Apple decided that the PC had it right, and abandoned their own path and decided to try to beat the PC at it's own game.

Apple people will likely dispute much of this, groveling over the little details, as I find that Apple people are fiercely branded. That being said, there was a recently a profile of Apple users that was released that basically stated that they are people that will pay more for flashy things. They are more apt to stay in 5 start hotels rather than 4 star hotels drink $5 cups of coffee and accept just about anything that the general media states as being better or higher end as fact.

Here is an example of Apple Profiling: http://www.businessinsider.com/orbit...rs-more-2012-6

So it comes down to Ego, and when you consider that we are dealing with Artists and Musicians in the music and recording industry, is it really any suprise that these types of people want the bling?
Andy Hamm is offline   Reply With Quote